What is Oxycontin?
Oxycontin is the marketing name for Oxycodone that is an opioid medication. This medicine is helpful in the treatment of severe pain. It belongs to the class of drugs called opioid analgesics. This drug is a prescription medication and readily available for purchase. Anyone can buy Oxycontin online or from a local pharmacy with a proper prescription.
This medicine is an opioid that makes it a Schedule II controlled substance. You should be careful while using this drug due to its potential for abuse and addiction. You can also become dependent on this medication, so don’t stop taking it abruptly to avoid the withdrawal symptoms.
What are the uses of Oxycontin?
This medicine helps relieve severe ongoing pain, such as pain caused by cancer. This drug works by changing how your body responds to the feeling of pain. You should not take the higher strengths of this medicine like 40mg, as it can cause an overdose.
This medicine is available in the immediate-release as well as extended-release formulation. You should not use the extended-release of this medicine for the treatment of mild pain that occurs occasionally.
How to use Oxycontin?
You should read the medication guide before using this medicine, and you can get this guide from your doctor, or with the drug when you order Oxycontin online. Take this medicine as per your doctor’s instructions to minimize the risk of side effects. You should not use this medicine without consulting with a doctor and follow the dosage strictly.
The starting dosage is 10mg, which you should take orally every 12 hours.
The doctor can increase or decrease the dosage after observing how your body reacts to the medicine.
The daily dose should not exceed 80mg
What should you know before taking Oxycontin?
Before you buy oxycontin online or from a local medical store for the treatment of pain, you should know the essential things about this drug. There are situations in which using this medicine can be dangerous. So, keep a note of the following points before start using it.
- People who have breathing problems such as asthma should avoid using this medicine, as it can affect the breathing pattern.
- People with liver or kidney problems might not be able to process this medicine effectively, which can cause the symptoms to stay for longer or even result in an overdose.
- Avoid using this medicine if you are allergic to opioids.
This drug can increase the pressure in the skull, so this medicine can
- prove to be harmful to people with a head injury.
- Taking this medicine can cause seizures to worsen if the user who has epilepsy.
- This drug can make adrenal or thyroid glands problems even worse.
- People with urinary problems, or pancreas, and gallbladder problems should also avoid this medicine, as it can make these issues worse.
- This medicine might not be safe for children, and they should only take it if a doctor decides that it is the only way to treat their condition.
- This medicine might have a higher risk of causing adverse effects on older people, as there kidneys function may be reduced, which makes it harder for them to process this drug.
- Those who are breastfeeding and pregnant ladies should also avoid using this medicine, as it can cause harmful effects on the unborn kids and infants.
- Mixing this drug with alcohol will result in increased side effects.
- Don’t take it with other prescription or non-prescription drugs, as that can change how this medicine affects your body.
What are the undesirable effects of Oxycontin?
People often order Oxycontin online without consulting with their doctor, which can lead to the experience of side effects due to inappropriate dosage. Like any other medication, Oxycontin also has some side effects that users should be aware of before taking this medicine. These effects include
Common side effects
- Changes in mood
- Stomach pain
- Dry mouth
Severe side effects
- Breathing problems
- Muscle weakness
- Losing consciousness
- Cold or clammy skin
- Narrowing or widening of pupils
If you face these symptoms, then you should stop taking this medicine and consult with a doctor to change the dosage or ask for an alternative medication.